I've made probably close to 300 colors by now, and there's nothing worse than making a whole new line only to discover that half of them look a lot like ones I've made before. So here's how I try to avoid that.
-I don't mix colors if I'm just not feeling it. Those days are used for organizing and restocking.
-I try to keep looking for new supplies I haven't used before.
-I look through my old colors, formulas and stock periodically to remind me what I've already made.
-Since my colors are all based on geeky, pop-culture-y things, I keep up with lots of my favorite shows so there's lots of inspiration-fuel when I need it.
-I keep a list of what new colors I have coming up so I can sort of mull them over while I'm ordering supplies and working toward whatever day I have put aside for new-color-making.
-I use my natural synaesthesia to decide what colors I'll use, so I pay attention to what impressions I'm getting as in watching and reading the source material. I also try to avoid stress, since that sort of greys-out everything and just generally makes inspiration and creativity hard.
-I mix colors between the designated times when I'm really intent on a new color.
-I keep track, in a vague following-on-Instagram sort of way, of what other nail-makers are doing so I can not do what everyone is doing.
-I keep most of the attempts that don't work as intended so I can use them or modify them later.
And I've made it a priority to experiment--like, sometimes I just throw things in a bottle with some base just to see what happens!
And that's how I keep things fresh!

No comments:
Post a Comment